Sunday, April 5, 2009

Quit reading books I don't care about!

I have started 3 books already this month and have put them down and am not returning to them. Time is too precious to continue to read books that I don't care about. I began The Ventriloquist's Tale by Pauline Melville...just didn't care about it. Began Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer and realized that it was a young person's book, and again, just didn't care about it. Started A Mercy by Toni Morrison. It was good, but I realized that each time I picked it up, I couldn't figure out who was the narrator of that part and finally just gave up.

I have to get over this sense of feeling badly when I quit a book. There are just too many books out there that I really truly want to read. I don't need to spend my precious reading time on books I don't care about. I am trying to get better about this. It very rarely happens that I end up liking a book that I struggled through. It feels like a failure on my part when I give up on a book. I need to realize that it is a GOOD thing, a strength to quit when I first realize I don't care!

4 comments:

Bybee said...

I know how you feel...I have the same problem! Support group, anyone?

jenclair said...

I'm getting over it. A recovering compulsive reader. I've abandoned more books this year than I could have ever imagined.

There just isn't time to waste on books that you don't care about when you might be reading something really good. I made the decision in January and am much happier with the quality of my reading!

kb said...

I think you're doing the right thing - so much to read, so little time!

Sue F. said...

You are all so right! I even quit another book this week...The Florist's Daughter...just couldn't get interested!