Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Finally and more

I finally finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. It was my first book to read for my new-to-me book group. 636 pages. Took me 2 weeks to read. I have to admit that the actual story was really good. But I felt like it could have easily and very well been told in about 250 pages. The author just seemed to go on and on. I read one sentence to my husband that was 4 lines long....ONE sentence!

As I said, I think that the story was very good and that there are a lot of sub-themes through-out the book, but I kept getting bogged down in all the WORDS!

The basic story is that of 2 Jewish cousins who meet each other in the 1930's. One lives in NY and the other has come from Prague. They get into comic book designing and writing, while meanwhile, the war progresses, and finally involves the US. There are lots of relationship issues going on in the book, with a lot of complications, losses, grief, etc.

Would I recommend the book? No, but only because of the wordiness. I think that the story gets lost in all the words.

On a brighter note, I went to Borders with a coupon and a gift card and got 3 new books today...will begin The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo tonight. Also got Alice Walker's Meridian and Through Time Into Healing by Brian Weiss. Interesting reads, I hope!

No comments: