Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Appetites-On The Search For True Nourishment

Appetites seems to be a less-known work of Geneen Roth's.  After reading Women Food and God, I began to work on the concepts of being kind to myself and listening to my body and taking care of it.  I happened across this book and I am glad that I found it.  There is much wisdom in this book.  It is not quite like her other books...it is not directly about eating, food, etc.  It really struck me as a book about finding your true self.  It is primarily Geneen's story of her journey in learning who she was.

It is a very easy book to read.  It really held my attention and I found it very insightful. An example:
"Despite my valiant efforts to the contrary, I know that the purpose of life is not to be safe.  It is to be open.  To be dedicated to the truth, to the joy as it streams through your life.  Because if you are not, then no matter what you have, you will always want more, you will be forever hungry.  And if you are, then no matter what happens, you will one day discover that you are who you have been hungering for.  It has been you, not the food you eat, the clothes you buy, the people you love, the money you make.  For lifetimes, for eons, for as long as it takes for a mountain to become a mountain, it has always been you. You are the feast. You."

I really love the way she writes.  Her words speak to me.   Geneen tells of her struggles, especially when she was ill for several years and questioned who she was without hair! She tells of many different examples of others struggling with issues of "who am I now" after hearing and/or suffering various debilitating problems.  Perceptions and perspectives.  Geneen's writing seems to put the words that we are looking for in our searches.

No comments: