Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Two Suspense Books!

I just finished 2 suspense/mystery books, not my usual genre, but they were both good.  To add to the pile, we also watched both versions of Cape Fear in the last week!  Maybe it is the heat that is getting to us.  We need good diversions!

I finished the trilogy with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson.  It ended up being my least favorite of the three.  It was a very good story, but way too "wordy"...it seemed to me that the story could have been told in a 1/3 of the book size. In this story Lizabeth Salander does not play as prominent role as she did in the first two books, although, of course, the story centers around her.  The story was basically everyone trying to figure out how the government maintained such a large cover-up for so many years.  That is the incredibly simple version of my  summary of the book!

We watched the movie Shutter Island recently and I decided that I wanted to read the book to see if there was more to it.  Oddly enough, this is one of those very rare times that the movie was better than the book.  The book was ok and I kept trying to figure out if I would have liked the book better if I had not seen the movie, but I don't think so.  The story is of a Federal Marshall who goes to help find an inmate that has gone missing on Shutter Island.  The island is home to a prison for the criminally insane.  It is a really good story that has some good twists to it in the end.  If you are into psychology, etc. see the movie!  I guarantee you will enjoy it!  The book?  Again, not as good as the movie.

No comments: