Friday, March 16, 2012

To Kill A Mockingbird

Ok, I know...I have probably run it into the ground that To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is my all-time absolute book.  In January my afternoon book group decided that we would read a classic book every other month and, of course, I piped in with To Kill A Mockingbird, which was then chosen as our March read.  After I began reading it, I realized  that it has been probably fifteen years since I last read it.  Oh My God...it is still the absolute best book I have ever read!  I so thoroughly enjoyed this last re-read!

I am going to go under the assumption that everyone reading this blog has read To Kill A Mockingbird.  (If you haven't, please do so!), so I won't go into the story.  Instead, I will share what some of my favorite lines from the book are.  I was surprised, at this my probably tenth time reading the book, that some of these lines still made me cry!

So, in order as they appear in the book, here are my favorite lines:

Dill was upset at how the prosecutor was treating the defendant and Scout was trying to explain that he was just doing his job.  Dill remarked that Atticus didn't do the same and Scout finally was able to explain about Atticus: "He's the same in the courtroom as he is on the public streets.".

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up.  Your father's passin'". 

Atticus talking to Jem: "As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it-whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash."

Jem speaking: "Scout, I think I'm beginning to understand some thing.  I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the house all this time...it's because he wants to stay inside."

"Hey, Boo, I said."

"He turned out the light and went into Jem's room,  He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning."

Powerful book...

And as an aside: after I finished reading this last weekend, we watched the movie...just as powerful!

I also have to add that one of my most fervent wishes is that upon Ms. Harper Lee's death, a sequel is found.  But then, do I want that?  Could it possibly live up to her first? Hmmmm...

No comments: