Monday, April 1, 2013

This Is How You Lose Her and My Life with the Saints (another 2 books!)

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz was the March book for one of my book groups.  The author had won the Pulitzer Prize for his first novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (which I have not read). His latest book, This Is How You Lose Her, is a set of nine short stories, all tied together by certain characters, primarily Yunior. Yunior seeks love, and consistently loses the love he seeks.


I have to admit, I did not care for the book, although it did lead to lively discussion for the book group.  I didn't care for the life-style or language in the book.  However, I did like the line that seemed to sum up the stories:

"The half-life of love is forever."


 While on vacation, I finished reading My Life with the Saints by James Martin, SJ.  The book was
recommended by my friend, Gretchen, and a worthy read it was!

James Martin is a Jesuit priest, and prolific author.  In this book, he writes a sort of memoir based on how he learned of  and developed love for seventeen different saints.  The stories of the saints are woven into his own life, sharing how each saint affected his life.  The book is very readable and entertaining and educational.  I really enjoyed it.  I hope that he continues to write about more saints. Reading the book has inspired me to learn more about some of the saints mentioned.  I was especially taken with his writing about Joseph. I found Martin's writing to be quite insightful.  A very good read, whether you are Catholic or not.


1 comment:

Bybee said...

I think my son has the Diaz book. I'm going to try to borrow it from him.