Saturday, February 2, 2019

my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry

I loved A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  Some people had raved about my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry, also by him, so I read it.  It was disappointing for me.

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry: A Novel
It is the story of Elsa, a seven year old girl, and her relationship with her rather eccentric grandmother. Sadly, her grandmother died, but she left a kind of treasure hunt of letters for Elsa to deliver to those she felt like she had wronged.  As Elsa goes through the story, she, of course, learns about her grandmother and her grandmother's life, including the difficult relationship between her grandmother and her mother.

I enjoyed the actual story of the book.  My grandmother was one of the very most important people in my life, so I love reading about those relationships.  What I didn't like about the book was the stories that the grandmother told Elsa about the Land-of-Almost-Awake and the Kingdom of Miamas.  I'm sure that there was symbolism in these stories that I should have studied, but I just didn't care to do that.

It's just not a book that I would recommend.

No comments: