Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Tiger's Wife and The Overstory

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht was quite popular when it came out in 2011,  but I did not have any interest in it at the time.  While in Alabama this past spring I came across it and bought it to read. 

The Tiger's Wife

The novel was an interesting read, but all in all, I didn't care for it.  I think perhaps that maybe I was not getting some symbolism in the book?  Maybe it would make a good read for a book group.  I was fairly lost with it.  The part I did understand was that Natalia's grandfather had died and she went back home to try to find out the circumstances of his death.  She came across a number of people in her search, each one as odd as the next.  Apparently, the main theme of the book was "the deathless man" and "the tiger's wife".  I just really didn't get it.  Maybe I was overthinking it?




At the recommendation of a friend, I read The Overstory by Richard Powers.  I had never heard of it but learned that it had won the Pultizer Prize.  It came out in 2018.
The Overstory



It sounds funny, but I would describe this book as a book about trees.  Who wants to read a novel about trees?  But wait...it's about the story that trees have inside them....of the people who have loved and cared for them.  Fascinating way to write a story.  And it is a long book...just over 500 pages!  The stories easily capture the reader and tie somewhat together.  I loved this book!

No comments: