Friday, July 30, 2021

Two more June reads

 Just getting back to my blog after a three-week trip to visit family and friends.  Finished the three weeks away with a 4 day trip to Milwaukee with all of our kids and grandkids.  We had a great time, but it did take us a few days to rest up!  Anyway, all that to say that I didn't get to blogging about the rest of the books that I read in June.

1) Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann: This is a non-fiction


story that is now being made into a movie.  It is the story of the Osage Nation murders in Oklahoma in the early part of the 20th century and the beginning of the FBI.  The Osage Nation in Oklahoma in the 1920s were the richest people in the United States (per capita) because oil had been found under their land.  Then slowly, members of the Osage were being killed or dying under mysterious circumstances. Eventually, the FBI, a new government agency, was called in to investigate not only the deaths of the Osage people, but also the deaths of those who had been investigating the deaths.  It is a fascinating, but sad, story of how the Osage Nation was treated for so long, and how deeply the murders were covered up.

A great read

2) Lisey's Story by Stephen King: While sorting through her husband's papers after his death two years earlier, Lisey began to understand that dark place that Scott (her husband) would go to in his mind at times.  And as she began sorting through memories of their time together, she began to understand just what Scott experienced, and began experiencing it herself.


This has been made into a mini-series and I'm not sure how I feel about seeing it.  The story was interesting most of the time, but I just wasn't feeling the whole demon-like part of the story.  I think Mr. King is a great writer and I love how he develops and writes his characters, which is why I continue to read his books, but the "creepy" part of the books just leave me 'meh'.

No comments: