Friday, February 13, 2009

Change of Heart

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult is a long book…447 pages. I think about twice as long as it needed to be. I liked the book, but was disappointed, just because a couple of her other books have been SO good.

The story is about Isaiah “Shay” Bourne who while working as a handyman, killed a little girl and her policeman step-father. Shay has been on death row for 11 years and is facing execution soon. The little girl’s mother had been pregnant at the time of the murders and her 11 year old daughter is in need of a heart transplant. You can see where this is going…Shay believes that he will be redeemed if he gives Claire his heart after he dies.

The chapters are told by Fr. Michael (Shay’s spiritual advisor), June (Claire’s mother), Lucius (in prison with Shay) and Maggie (Shay’s attorney). Each person does bring an unique perspective to the story, but I just found the whole thing to be too predictable.

If you want to read what I consider her best book, try My Sister’s Keeper. I really liked it. Her past few books have been disappointing to me.

Ok, so now I haven’t read a really, really good book for a couple of months…I have a stack of books waiting for me, so tonight I begin again. Here’s hoping for a great read!

No comments: