Wednesday, October 7, 2009

She's Come Undone


She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb totally took me by surprise. I have come across it many times and from reading the back cover was just never really interested in reading it, although I really liked his other books. I came across this one a couple of weeks ago at the Salvation Army for $0.49, so thought I would try it. I loved it!

It is the story of Delores Price whose life seemingly continuously falls apart beginning as a child, when her mother is institutionalized. She becomes quite attached to her father, only to have him leave after her mother returns. Her parents divorced and she and her mother go live with her maternal grandmother.

Delores is very much her own person and always speaks what's on her mind. I found her hilarious and usually a bit shocking, but there were times that I laughed out loud with the comments she would make to people. The story (her life) is quite complex, always changing and incredibly sad at times.

The only part of the book that made me uncomfortable was her horrible image of herself in regard to her weight. Yet, I know that it rang very true.

There is a bit of everything in this book...lies, grief, mental illness, sex, sexual abuse, etc. But the book is really about recovery! Delores Price is an amazing girl, then woman.

I loved this book! Highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Emily Rogers said...

I read this book when it first came out and I really liked it also! Glad you enjoyed it!