Sunday, December 2, 2012

What a Gift!

Today my sister and I went to my Dad's to go through my Mom's Christmas stuff.  Mom died earlier this year and Dad only wanted to keep a few things.  As we went through some things, Dad came across a small, old notebook that Mom had written in.  Inside were lists of books that she wanted to read.

I just read The End of Your Life Book Club a few weeks ago and was envious of the author that he got to share reading books with his mother over the last two years of her life.  When Dad gave me this notebook, I felt like maybe this is my Mom's way of sharing, even though she is now gone.  I typed up the list and here it is:

                                                                                          

Mom’s Book List
Found 12/2/2012

Aunt Julia and The Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa

Loving Women by Pete Hamill

A Thief of Time by Tony Hillerman

The Journals of John Cheever

Shadows on the Grass by Isak Dinesen

A Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankel

Meridian 144 by Meg Files

Bad Girls Good Women by Rosie Thomas

Family Pictures by Sue Miller

The Locusts Have No King by Dawn Powell

Tilting at Windmills by Charles Peters

Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors by Carl Sagan

The Fountainhead by Aryn Rand

By Robertson Davies:  Fifth Business
                                     The Manticore
                                    World of Wonders

By Jane Smiley: Barn Blind
                            At Paradise Gate
                           Duplicate Key
                           The Age of Grief
                           The Greenlanders
                           Catskill Crafts
                           Ordinary Love and Good Will

Landscape Without Gravity by Barbara Ascher

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison


How amazing is this?  I have read a few of these books, but not most of them.  This is going to be one of my 2013 reading goals for the year! 

Here's the very most amazing thing...today is my birthday!!!  Thanks, Mom!  Miss you and love you!

1 comment:

Bybee said...

This post made me feel so sad but also so happy at the same time.