Monday, March 11, 2013

Testament of Trust

Testament of Trust was written by Faith Baldwin (seen above), and published in 1958.  I don't remember if I have ever read any of her other books, but I have read Testament of Trust several times.  I need to read more of her work.  However, as I just saw, she wrote over 100 novels!  Ms. Baldwin was born in 1893 and died in 1978.   

Testament of Trust is not a fictional novel.  It is observations.  Ms. Baldwin divided the book into 13 months, beginning and ending with October.  She compared the months as thus:

"A year is like a new house; each of us has lived in such a house before; at least the shape looks the same and we know before we enter that there will be twelve rooms.  It;'s funny how we can settle in, while knowing that someday we must move."

The months are divided as threshold, corridor, window seat, bridge, archway, breathing space, small altar, patio, fountain, steppingstones, reflecting pool, and a moon gate.

My favorite month in the book was July...I especially enjoyed her seeming rambles during this month:

"In a lifetime, we live, it seems, a thousand years and as many lives, in a sense, for we are no more the same people we were half an hour ago than we'll be tomorrow.  Growth is slow, almost imperceptible; you don't notice it from day to day.  All experiences leave marks like grooves in a record; if you play it back, how astonished you would be, how happy, how stricken, how ashamed and how proud."
And that is just a sneak peek at her wisdom!  I just find this book absolutely charming, as did my mom!
It is no longer in print, so if you want to find it, you have to search...it's worth it.

No comments: