Saturday, October 24, 2020

A Little Life

 I kept seeing posts about A Little Life and finally decided to read it.  Thank goodness I did!  This is one of the best books I have ever read!  

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara is 814 pages.  Definitely not a short nor quick read.  But it seemed that every page was worthwhile. 

A Little Life is about four young men who meet and become best friends while attending college.  The first half of the book (roughly) told about both the backstory and the present story of three of the friends.  Their lives centered around the fourth classmate, Jude, a brilliant man, who reported that he had no family, yet was deeply scarred by his childhood.  Following college, all four of the men moved to New York. Over the decades their friendships continue with each other as they navigate addictions, successes, failures, marriages, affairs, etc.

The second half of the book begins to go deeper into Jude's life.

Suffice to say, this book is absolutely devastating.  It is also fascinating, a wonderful tribute to love and loyalty.  This book may stay with me all my life.  I know that I will re-read it at some point.

No comments: