Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Notebook and 84 Charing Cross Road

 I finished and read The Notebook and 84 Charing Cross Road in the last three days. I was actually just using up my reading time until a new book arrives today.

So, let's discuss The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.  I had watched the movie several years ago and loved it, including sobbing at the end. It's a really good, well-done movie.  So I thought I should read the book and I was terribly disappointed in the book.  I don't know how it ever got the acclaim that it did.  I thought it was poorly written, and had a less than stellar ending. At least it was a quick read.



I read 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff yesterday.  It's a very small, charming little book of letters between the author and what I pictured as a quaint little used book store in London.  Helene lived in New York City and came across an ad for the store. She began a correspondence ordering books from the store in 1949, primarily dealing with Frank, but also over the years various other employees, and with Fred's wife.  The letters (at least in the book) ended in 1969, a few months following the unexpected death of Frank. In their letters, they shared their love of books and really had a twenty-year friendship develop.  I noticed that the book was dedicated to Frank, which was sweet.



No comments: