Friday, July 12, 2024

Catching up on the past 3 months!






I have been so derelict in writing in my blog. I need to catch up on the last 3 months!

I have had a lot going on in the last few months, and things are finally settling down for me. I am going to briefly review what I have read since April. First, I mislabeled what I read in April as having read them in May. So that's a problem. 

So, in April, I read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty and The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride. I loved both of them, but especially enjoyed Lonesome Dove. I don't know why it's taken me a lifetime before I read it. We just finished watching the series (it's on Peacock) and it did an outstanding job following the book.

In May, I read Blood Meridan by Cormac McCarthy and Homecoming by Kate Morton. Homecoming was good, an easy read. Blood Meridan was more difficult to read!

June brought lots of reading. Heading for the beach by car for 12 hours each way helped! I read the five books shown above. My two favorites were The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman and beyond that, the sea by Laura Spence-Ash. I don't know how I had missed reading The Marriage of Opposites since I am such a fan of the author's. It was written in 2015 and is based on a true story from the early 1800's. Very good.  Beyond that the sea is about a young girl sent for her safety from England to the United States by her parents as World War II threatened England. Beatrix, the young girl, ended up staying there for five years with the family she had come to love dearly. Returning to London was difficult for her and she struggled with loving two families. I really liked this book a lot.

No comments: