Monday, March 31, 2008

In Defense of Food


I have seen several references to In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan in several different magazines that I read. It has been a highly recommended and quoted book. It is 205 pages of science and facts about food. To save you the trouble of trying to read it, I have listed what I thought were the main points of the book (all in one page!). My comments are in bold.

-Don’t use food products containing ingredients that a) you have never heard of, b) you can’t pronounce, c) that have more than 5 in number, or d) that include high -fructose corn syrup. (For fun, see how many food products you can find that have 5 or fewer ingredients-you will be amazed).

-Don’t use food products that make health claims. (So those that don’t make health claims are ok? Hooray for candy bars!)

-Shop the outside aisles of the supermarket and stay out of the middle. (What about soap, toilet paper, cereal?)

-Don’t go to the supermarket whenever possible (use farmer markets).

-Eat mostly plants, especially leaves.

AND:
-Pay more, eat less
-Eat meals
-Do all your eating at a table
-Don’t get your fuel from the same place your car does (other than milk or water)
-Try not to eat alone
-Consult your gut (listen for the sigh)
-Eat slowly
-Cook and, if you can, plant a garden

Well, not much new there, is there? I was certainly glad that I got this book from the library. I would have been really mad at myself if I had bought it! All in all, the main points that I got from the book are certainly valid, important points and do follow Intuitive Eating, mindful eating, etc. But to say all that in over 200 pages? Yikes!
If, after reading my ramblings, you think that you might want to read the whole book, here is an address to a good review of the book to check:

No comments: