Monday, February 18, 2013

The Maze Runner

My eleven year old grandson recommended The Maze Runner by James Dashner to me.  His recommendation?  "Best book that I have ever read."  So who could resist that? I had to order it from the library so that meant a week wait, but it arrived and I dived in.  Good book.  Very reminiscent to me of The Hunger Games.  It is an Young Adult Book, but certainly interesting enough to hold an adults attention. It is the first of a trilogy.

The Maze Runner began with Thomas awakening in the Glade with no idea where he is or what is going on.  He was surrounded by other adolescent boys who appeared to be reluctant/hesitant or refusing to tell him what was happening.  Thomas quickly learned who to trust, and who to ask questions about whatever he wanted answered.  It appeared that no one else knew how they got there either.  Outside the Glade was the Maze, which assigned Maze Runners ran every day, seeking a way out.  Meanwhile, creatures who appear mechanical wandered the Maze, mostly at night, and appeared to mean certain death if they were encountered, so it was imperative that everyone remain in the Glade during the evening until the next sunrise.  As Thomas began to adjust to being in the Glade, he struggled with trying to recall memories from his past.  And, oddly, something about the Glade seemed familiar to him.  Shortly after Thomas' arrival, a young girl showed up.  This threw everyone off balance as there had always only been boys there before.  And she seemed to have more information for Thomas.



The Maze Runner is a good mystery, that ends with the predictable ending perfect for the next book...I may read the next book at some point, but right now, I have many other books to read, so it is going to have to wait awhile.  I did find the story fairly predictable, but it is good writing and I think has good messages for young readers.  I know that my grandson flew through all three of the series, then learned that there was a prequel and he devoured it over a weekend.  You can't beat that for getting young readers interested!

No comments: