Friday, February 5, 2016

Big Magic

I was given the book Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert as a gift in December but didn't start reading it until later this past January. Shortly after I began reading it, I also began reading one of her other books that is fictional (The Signature of Everything).  That had seemed kind of odd, reading both fiction and non-fiction books at the same time by the same author! Big Magic is a non-fiction book (good for me!) that is about creativity. I found it very interesting and inspiring.  I wished that I were an aspiring writer reading it, but, sadly, that's not the case for me.  I thought it was a very encouraging book for anyone who wants to be creative in any form.  As I read it,  I often thought of how the book could apply to my knitting, genealogy and  journaling.  Actually, the full title of the book is Big Magic Creative Living Beyond Fear. And that, my friends, is what the book is about!

I will admit that the book was initially a bit hard for me to get into, but I stayed with it and thought that it became increasingly more relate-able.  And inspiring. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at how much Ms. Gilbert's writing resonates with me.  I loved her book Eat, Pray and Love....I thought that book had some quite inspiring writing, also.

Part of what I loved about Big Magic was that she included not only her struggle to write at times, but also how other authors have struggled.  The authors were authors whose books I have enjoyed, such as Ann Patchett,  Harper Lee, and Barbara Kingsolver.  I loved all of the stories that were in the Big Magic.  And because I am currently reading The Signature of Everything, I especially liked her story about how that book began in her mind!

Big Magic is a very easy book to read.  The chapters/sections go from 1 to maybe 4 or 5 pages, so it's a good book to pick up, leave and come back to read.

No comments: