Saturday, March 5, 2016

And Then All Hell Broke Loose

As soon as I heard about Richard Engel's new book, And Then All Hell Broke Loose, I felt the need
to read it.  I respect his reporting and work so that was one reason.  I think that the other reason was that my son (USMC) was deployed during the beginning of the war in Iraq, and I really wanted to see what Richard's whole take on that war was, and see if I could make any sense of it all.

My husband hasn't read the book yet, and I think that he will enjoy and follow it much more than I did.  I have little knowledge of the Middle East and the book is quite full of the history of the countries there, which is fascinating, but I was a bit lost.  As usual, I wanted more of the personal side of everything, and there wasn't as much of that I was hoping. Although, I did enjoy what was there about his personal experiences. this is a book that I will go back to as things progress in the Middle East just for some perspective.

I think that anyone with interest in what is, and has been, going on in the Middle East would find this book really interesting. Good writing, which I would expect from Richard Engel!

No comments: