Monday, January 26, 2009

Two Rivers


I finished reading Two Rivers by t. greenwood (that’s how the author is listed) last night. It was good. I wouldn’t rate it as one of my most favorite books, but it was a good story that, as a good book should, has left me considering some of the plots of the story this morning.

The story takes place in a small town, Two Rivers, Vermont. It is told by Harper Montgomery, a widow raising a 12 year old daughter. I don’t want to tell too much of the story because some of the story secrets play out through-out the book and I don’t want to ruin it for others. Through-out the book is the love story of Harper and his wife, Betsy.

Harper works for the railroad and one day there is a train derailment. He goes to help and a young black, pregnant girl seeks him out. She was on the train, headed to Canada. He ends up taking her home until he can locate her family.

Meanwhile, there is another story going on that occurred 12 years ago involving the death of a young black man. Harper begins to wonder if finding the young girl is related.

The book is well written. I felt like I knew the characters and cared about them. While I was reading it, I thought that the end of the story was rather predictable, but I was totally wrong!

All in all, I would suggest the book to others to read.

Now that being said, I have been dying to start a book that I bought the other day. I read a review of a sequel book written by the author and immediately knew that I have to read them both. Never mind that I have oh, so many other books waiting to be read!

Anyway, the book is The Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose. I am fascinated by the theory of reincarnation and have been for years (perhaps lifetimes?), so this sounds just like my kind of story!

No comments: