Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Wood Wife

I just finished The Wood Wife by Teri Windling last night. Not that great, in my opinion. I had read really good things about it on other people's blogs so I had been anxious to read it. It just didn't do anything for me. I did complete it, and I would say that it was OK, but I just wasn't into it.

I wondered at first if it is because it is kind of a surreal (?that probably isn't really the word that I mean, but I can't think of another right now), but then I remembered how much I liked The Stolen Child (see review of it dated March 3, 2008) and it was certainly a other-than-worldly type book. (Again, not the right word...). Ok, I guess the word would be "fantasy". I'm not big on fantasy books usually, but once in awhile, one stands out, as does The Stolen Child.

So, I just can't quite pinpoint my issue with it. One thing that I can identify is that I did not think that the writing was very good. And I just found the story to be so-so. I was disappointed. I will be selling it on Half.com. Definitely not a keeper.

However, now I am really looking forward to choosing my next book to read. Lord knows, I have plenty to choose from!

1 comment:

Bybee said...

I was recently disappointed in a book, too. And it was by John Updike, one of my favorites...how could he?

Can't wait to hear about your next read!