Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Early Predictions Announced for 2010 Pulitzer Prize


Yep, the early predictions are in, folks, and I am feeling rather left out since I haven't read any of them! Thank goodness I already had plans to head into town this morning to Barnes and Noble with my gift card! Although, I have to admit, at times I have not been impressed with some of the Pulitzer winners. Of course, then at other times, they have chosen books that I love.

Anyway, here is a part of the announcement along with the list:

We plan to release an adjusted list in late February or early March, and then a final list several weeks before the actual award is announced. The final prediction model will be based upon analysis that ultimately incorporates over 30 independent or predictor variables such as newspaper notable and best book lists; other awards and award nominations for 2009; and authors previously nominated for the Pulitzer and other awards.

Those caveats aside, the top 16 books written in 2009 that we predict to win in 2010 according to this early model are (in order of probability):


1. My Father's Tears: And Other Stories by John Updike
2. Lark & Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips
3. Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow
4. The Humbling by Philip Roth
5. The Maple Stories by John Updike
6. American Salvage by Bonnie Jo Campbell
7. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
8. In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin
9. The Red Convertible by Louise Erdrich
10. Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem
11. A Good Fall by Ha Jin
12. Dear Husband by Joyce Carol Oates
13. Little Bird of Heaven by Joyce Carol Oates
14. Spooner by Pete Dexter
15. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
16. Generosity: An Enhancement by Richard Powers

You can read the whole article at:
http://www.pprize.com/Discussions.php/2010-Prediction

If you have read any of these, I would love to hear comments! I will let you know what I read from the list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! On the list, I have only read "Let the Great World Spin", and it was fantastic. "The Lacuna" is on my desk and next in line (you know I'm a fan of Kingsolver!!).