Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Odds and Ends

I have finished 2 books since I last posted. I read The Gifts of War by Mackensie Ford, and The Bluest Eyes by Toni Morrison. Was not especially impressed with either.

Gifts of War is about WWI, a Christmas Eve truce in the trenches, and a promise made and broken. It begins with a promise in the trenches during a one night truce to a German soldier (Wilhelm) to take his picture back to his girlfriend in England. Of course, when Henry goes to find the girl, named Sam, he falls in love with her. Unbeknownst to Wilhelm, Sam has had his baby, a son named Will. Henry meets Sam and pursues her, even though she tells him about Wilhelm and how she is waiting for his return. Henry never tells her that he knows/met Wilhelm. And so the story goes...

I thought that the story had great potential, but it pretty much let me down.

The Bluest Eyes was ok, but I just loved Beloved and Song of Solomon so much, that I found this book to be disappointing. I think that I must like when Ms. Morrison goes into the "spirit" world somewhat.

On a different note, I actually signed up for the Read 100 books in 2010 Challenge! I don't know what possessed me although I have been feeling as if I have been letting myself down with my lack of reading. I used to read like a fiend and I miss it. Now that I have retired, I thought I would get back to it, but it seems like I am always doing something else, often involving the computer! So I am pushing the envelope and going for the challenge. If you are interested in joining, go to this site:

http://j-kaye-book-blog.blogspot.com/2009/11/new-2010-reading-challenge-100-reading.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

100 books! Wow, I'll be lucky if I get through 40 or 50. Good luck, it's a great goal!

Also, do you mind if I list you on my blogroll?

Susan said...

Wonderful, on joining the challenge! I'm in it too this year, even though I failed it last year (78 read). I've read 1, so 99 to go. If nothing else, it will get you to read more and look for more reading time - and yes, the computer does suck up a lot of it, too, for me as well! Good luck on the challenge, also :-D

Bybee said...

I read the Morrison book eons ago and remember feeling a bit weepy about it...not much else, though. Rock and roll on your challenge!!!