Friday, January 22, 2016

Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome

One beautiful day last summer I was sitting outside a restaurant,waiting to meet a friend for lunch Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome by Joy DeGruy. As he talked about the book with me, I decided that it sounded really interesting, so I ordered it and just finished it. It would certainly make for an interesting semester class!
when I looked over and noticed a man sitting at a table next to me with several psychology books on the table.  I could see the titles of the books and was intrigued so I struck up a conversation with him about the books.  It turned out that he was a professor at the university and was thinking of doing a class based on one of the books which was



The premise of the book is the past influences the present.  The author gave many examples of how those descended from slaves grew up through-out the generations with oppression still a part of their lives as parents and grandparents taught them how to think and behave.  I thought that the stories that the author told to illustrate her points were the best parts of the book.

I don't know if the author used these words, but the book also brought to mind and reflections on genetic memory and how it unconsciously influences people.

It was an interesting book.  If you are interested in knowing more about it, here is the website:  

http://joydegruy.com/resources-2/post-traumatic-slave-syndrome/detail.



No comments: